Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Time in Ecclesiastes

I came upon this passage from Ecclesiastes last night while praying and a couple of things stood out to me...

Ecclesiastes 3: 9-14
9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

1) This life on earth is a struggle. We toil away. We live in our sinful state. We have burdens here (vs. 10),
2) But I have hope, vs. 11, "He has made everything beautiful in its time." God is sovereign over our lives and when it will be made beautiful.

3) I cannot possibly know everything God has done from beginning to end. I need to focus less on "why" and more on following Him.
4) Satisfaction and good things come as a gift from God for me to enjoy. Nothing wrong with living a good life but remember where it comes from. In high school I worked at a shoe store and one day I remember watched a woman write a check for payment-- and on it she wrote, "Thank you Lord for these shoes." I didn't understand at the time why someone would do that, she earned that money, not God....I know now though.
Everything is from the Lord.
5) God has a plan for my life, vs. 14, and nothing I do can add or take away from that plan. This is comforting to me because I so often get things wrong.
6) Lastly, everything is so that "men will revere Him."
Everything we do, do it for the glory of God. My words, my actions, my thoughts, how I spend my time should honor Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment